Forumi Horizont Forumi Horizont > Arti & Kultura > Arti Figurativ > Arkitekture > pro apo kunder GENTRIFICATION?
  Tema e mėparshme   Tema Tjetėr
Autori
Titulli Hap njė temė tė re    Pėrgjigju brenda kėsaj teme
darke
Syri i Natės

Regjistruar: 24/08/2003
Vendbanimi: night
Mesazhe: 2545

Question

pro apo kunder GENTRIFICATION?

First of all, I will explain what "gentrification" is: the word gentrification comes from the english gentry, the class inmediately below the nobility. That is, people of higher class and status "invaded" a working-class area, renovating existing homes.

Actually I don't know if this phenomenon is happening in the cities of Albania. Here, you people has the voice to tell it in this theme (and I hope you do comment it).

In American cities, gentrification has occurred and is ocurring right now, in their inner-city houses. Some people applaud this "development". They say that gentrification brings back the white middle and upper middle classes to the city, thereby upgrading the housing stock and increasing the tax base.

I was reading an article this morning in USATODAY about the investigation of gentrification in USA by a professor in Urban Planning at Columbia University. (You can read it here:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation...POE=click-refer
His conclusion was that Gentrification drives comparatively few low-income residents from their homes. Although some are forced to move by rising costs, there isn't much more displacement in gentrifying neighborhoods than in non-gentrifying ones. In another anterior article this professor wrote he pointed out that although higher costs sometimes force poor residents to leave gentrifying neighborhoods, other changes — more jobs, safer streets, better trash pickup — encourage them to stay. But to others, gentrification remains a dirty word.

But a lot of importants questions remains; the first one: Where will those gentrified out of their homes go?

Displacement of low-income people, pushed out of their homes by affluent people, is often one outcome of gentrification. But a less obvious effect concerns jobs: gentrification can mean that housing displaces jobs for the poor. Anyway, the big winners in this processare the owners of capital and the big losers are the displaced urban poor.

So, should public policy slow down or speed up gentrification?

Denonco kėtė mesazh tek moderatorėt | IP: e regjistruar

Mesazh i vjetėr 21 Prill 2005 13:17
darke nuk po viziton aktualisht forumin Kliko kėtu pėr Profilin Personal tė darke Kliko kėtu pėr tė kontaktuar me darke (me Mesazh Privat) Kėrko mesazhe tė tjera nga: darke Shto darke nė listėn e injorimit Printo vetėm kėtė mesazh Shto darke nė listėn e monitorimit Ndrysho/Fshij Mesazhin Pėrgjigju Duke e Cituar
Ora tani: 22:12 Hap njė temė tė re    Pėrgjigju brenda kėsaj teme
  Tema e mėparshme   Tema Tjetėr

Forumi Horizont Forumi Horizont > Arti & Kultura > Arti Figurativ > Arkitekture > pro apo kunder GENTRIFICATION?

Pėrgatit Kėtė Faqe Pėr Printim | Dėrgoje Me Email | Abonohu Nė Kėtė Temė

Vlerėso kėtė temė:

Mundėsitė e Nėn-Forumit:
Nuk mund tė hapni tema
Nuk mund ti pėrgjigjeni temave
Nuk mund tė bashkangjisni file
Nuk mund tė modifikoni mesazhin tuaj
Kodet HTML nuk lejohen
Kodet speciale lejohen
Ikonat lejohen
Kodet [IMG] lejohen

Kliko pėr tu larguar nese je identifikuar